This museum is operated by the Waverley Heritage Society (WHS), a not-for-profit organization. The Society is dedicated to the preservation of the area’s past. The Waverley Heritage Museum offers school programming, research appointments, genealogical information and general tours.
At the museum you can find information about:
- Gold Mining and the Acadia Power Mill
- Blacksmith tools
- Railways and transportation
- An expanding collection of church, gold mining, community, and school photographs
- Archives of directories, census records and area maps
Founded by Annie (Blois) Smith, the museum is housed in what was the old St. John the Baptist Anglican Church building. The church was built in 1861 on what is now Lake Thomas Drive. It was moved to its present site in 1893 by horse and wagon. The museum moved into the church building when it was sold in 1991 to the Waverley Ratepayers Association. Before moving into the church building in Waverley, the museum was situated in a house called the Smith House on the corner of Cobequid Road and Rocky Lake Drive.
2463 Rocky Lake Drive, Waverley, NS
Waverley sits on Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi’kmaq. We are all Treaty people.