Education in Waverley has been a deeply held value since the first school house was built by Charles P. Allen`s widow, Catherine, in June of 1866. The first schoolmaster was Mr. Isaac Baird; he along with his two assistants taught the young residents of Waverley in the original school house as a guest of Catherine Allen.

The school buildings of L. C. Skerry and Waverley Memorial were named in memory of Leo Clayton Skerry, WWII casualty, and all of the brave men and women who fought during the First and Second World Wars. They have since been torn down but many of the class photos can be found in our Waverley School Days photo archives. Waverley now has a brand new school, built in 2010, also called Waverley Memorial School.